Fujitsu Announces Joint Development of Embedded Linux for FR-V Family of Microprocessors
--Compatible with Linux Application Software, Enables Media-Rich Content With Low Power Consumption--
Tokyo, September 27, 2001 ---Fujitsu Limited and AXE, Inc. today announced that they have agreed to jointly develop an embedded Linux operating system (axLinux*1) optimized for Fujitsu's FR-V Family*2 of microprocessors. Under the agreement, Fujitsu will provide AXE with technical information on its FR-V Family's function and function modification specifications, and, based on that information, AXE will provide embedded axLinux for Fujitsu's FR-V processors as well as customer support services.
In recent years, as Internet technology for corporations has become pervasive, Linux OS has become widely accepted. Likewise, Linux has progressed as a customizable platform for Internet-connected appliances. In the mobile computing products market, particularly PDAs, there has been increasing demand for high-performance, multi-function embedded processors that can offer Internet communications functions, such as music distribution, e-mail and web search, as well as multimedia capabilities, such as video display.
Among the outstanding features of axLinux are its compact size for embedded use, its simple and reliable network connection capabilities, its multi-task support functions for multimedia applications, and its low price. The addition of embedded axLinux to the FR-V Family, which features the world's fastest image and sound processing capabilities as well as low power consumption, will enable Fujitsu's customers to develop products with an ideal combination of features.
Fujitsu already offers FR-V Family operating systems, including REALOS*3 and SOFTUNE *4, as well as an integrated development environment. With the development of axLinux, Fujitsu extends its coverage into the embedded market for multi-function printers and audio-visual equipment, where network connection capabilities are becoming especially important.
AXE will develop axLinux for electronics equipment that uses FR-V core processors, provide the development environment, and support customers that use it. Moreover, with Shikigami*5, AXE's royalty-free, open-source embedded graphic user interface (GUI) environment for PDAs, AXE will provide total solutions and support for PDAs that have FR-V processor cores.
Through the pursuit of continuous improvements in speed, power consumption, size, and weight, Fujitsu is committed to developing processors and embedded software to meet the diverse needs of mobile equipment markets as well as for products that require network connection capabilities, such as multi-function printers and digital AV equipment.
- FR-V, SOFTUNE , and REALOS are registered trademarks of Fujitsu Limited.
- axLinux and Shikigami are registered trademarks of AXE, Inc.
- All other company or product names mentioned above are trademarks or registered trademarks of the respective companies.
- *1 axLinux
A Linux-based operating system developed and offered by AXE for embedded and mobile applications. Kernel tuning and debugging are carried out independently.
- *2 FR-V Family
- An SoC (system on a chip) developed by Fujitsu with an FR-V core using VLIW architecture designed to meet the application needs of digital appliances and mobile devices.
- *3 REALOS
- A real-time OS designed for Fujitsu's microcontrollers that supports the µITRON-standard. For customers who make time-to-market a high priority, Fujitsu offers an integrated development environment and a wealth of solutions, and backs it up with high-speed processing and next-generation technology.
- *4 SOFTUNE
- Fujitsu's development environment for microcontrollers/processors. Centered around SOFTUNE Workbench, it enables efficient development by organically combining language tools with debuggers.
- *5 Shikigami
- The free, open-source GUI environment developed by AXE. Designed for small equipment, such as hand-held terminals and embedded equipment. Shikigami features an easy-to-use desktop interface, handwriting recognition, and artificial intelligence. http://www.sikigami.com/index-e.html
Fujitsu is a leading provider of Internet-focused information technology solutions for the global marketplace. Its pace-setting technologies, best-in-class computing and telecommunications platforms, and worldwide corps of systems and services experts make it uniquely positioned to unleash the infinite possibilities of the Internet to help its customers succeed. Headquartered in Tokyo, Fujitsu Limited (TSE:6702) reported consolidated revenues of 5.48 trillion yen for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2001.
About AXE, Inc.
AXE is a technological leader making contributions worldwide in the promotion of Linux and real-time OS development targeted to PDAs and other information technology devices. The company has long been involved in the development of UNIX technology, Internet technology, artificial intelligence languages, and mobile technology. Since its inception AXE has been dedicated to creating open systems in the UNIX tradition. http://www.axe-inc.co.jp/index-e.html
Chiaki Kuwahara, Nancy Ikehara
Fujitsu Limited, Public Relations
Tel: +81-3-3215-5259 (Tokyo)
Tel: +81-75-213-7075 (Kyoto)
Inquiries regarding FR-V Family:|
Electronic Devices Group
Marketing Div., Marketing Dept. III
Tel: +81-3-5322-3323 (Tokyo)
Inquiries regarding axLinux:
Tel: AXE, Inc.
Tel: +81-75-213-7075 (Kyoto)
Please understand that product prices, specifications and other details are current on the day of issue of the press release, however, may change thereafter without notice.